[Requests] 18-010r3_CRS_WKT_revision

Peter Parslow Peter.Parslow at os.uk
Tue Oct 23 06:14:41 EDT 2018

Part A to be completed once.  Iterate Part B as needed.

        Peter Parslow T: +44 (0)2380 055341 | M: +44 (0)7796 610020 www.os.uk | peter.parslow at os.uk

2. Submission: 18-010r3_CRS_WKT_revision

PART B

1. Requirement: General

2. Implementation Specification Section number: Introduction

3. Criticality: Question

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

This document replaces 01-009. Does this mean that GeoAPI (09-083) and GeoPackage (12-128) need updating, if they want to remain in step? Or only if they want/need to use any of the extensions, such as dynamic & vertical coordinate reference systems?

Similarly, if any document or service instance uses WKT to describe an image CRS (not sure how often that might occur), then will it 'suddenly' become non-standard? I guess for documents, this isn't a proper usage, because the scope (in this document) says it's not suitable for storage.

Essentially, is it necessary for the WKT to reference which version of the standard it applies to, presumably defaulting to the earlier one?

Aha, I see a possible solution to this abstract concern of mine, at B.8 - would it be worth mentioning that earlier? Although the reason (I guess) is that this standard is explicitly not about implementation.

(I note at C.2.1 that it's theoretically possible for some 01-009 WKT CRS strings to be unreadable by parsers designed to read this standard.)

PART B

1. Requirement: General

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 2 Normative references

3. Criticality: Editorial

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

Should the reference to ISO 19111 be dated, i.e. ISO 19111:2018 (presumably)? We know that this specification does not apply to ISO 19111:2007, are we sure that it will apply to any future versions?

PART B

1. Requirement: General

2. Implementation Specification Section number: Most of 3.x.x

3. Criticality: Editorial

4. Comments/justifications for changes:
Change to ISO 19111:2019. Given that the revised ISO/DIS 19111 has not yet gone out for DIS vote, it seems unlikely that it will be published as ISO 19111:2018.

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey Limited (Company Registration number 09121572)
Registered Office: Explorer House
Adanac Drive
Southampton SO16 0AS
Tel: 03456 050505