[Requests] Comments on Hierarchical Data Format Version 5 (HDF5) Core Standard

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 15 11:21:59 EST 2018

1. Evaluator: Even Rouault, Spatialys

2. Submission: 18-043r1, OGC Hierarchical Data Format Version 5 (HDF5®) Core
Standard

PART B

1)

1. Requirement: General

2. Implementation Specification Section number: General

3. Criticality: Major

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

There are several contradictions about the scope of this document:
1) The introductory warning section mentions: "Document subtype: Encoding"
2) "i. Abstract" mentions: "This document describes the HDF5 data model as an
encoding standard..."
3) "7. HDF5 Data Model Requirements" mentions: "This is not an encoding but a
set of concepts that could be implemented in numerous ways or technology."

So is it a data model or an encoding standard ? From the content of the
document, this is more a data model than an encoding standard. Or I don't
understand the meaning of 'encoding standard', but to me, it means something
down to the byte level to be able to generate a binary .h5 file, which is not
contained in this document.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com