[Requests] 17-083 OGC Tile Matrix Set Feedback

Cechini, Matthew F. (GSFC-423.0)[Science Systems & Applications, Inc.] matthew.f.cechini at nasa.gov
Tue Jul 3 13:03:14 EDT 2018

Comments in the attached word document are referenced below:

PART A

1. Evaluator: Matthew Cechini (matthew.f.cechini at nasa.gov<mailto:matthew.f.cechini at nasa.gov>)

2. Submission: OGC Tile Matrix Set Standard Candidate (17-083)

PART B

1. Requirement: 1

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7.1

3. Criticality: Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes:
                Is there a registry to help figure out how to resolve the well-known scale set URIs into actual data?

1. Requirement: 1

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7.1

3. Criticality: Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes:
                Is this really where the data is expected to be represented, as in the bounding box would correspond to a TileMatrixSetLimits class associated with this TileMatrixSet?   Also, since multiple layers may reuse this TileMatrixSet, it may be difficult to address different coverages.  Were we to specify a “MBR surrounding the TileMatrixSet, that would presumably be an MBR surrounding all TileMatrix elements.  In our situation, our first two TileMatrices cover more than the +/-180,+/-90 geographic area.  It would be odd to see the actual MBR in the Capabilities. I would vote to remove this item.  There are other, more contextual, places where this bounding box information is found.

1. Requirement: 1

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7.1

3. Criticality: Editorial

4. Comments/justifications for changes: Should footnote reference the TMS within a GetCapabilities response or server?

1. Requirement: 2

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7.1

3. Criticality: Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes: It’s not clear how this requirement is realized within this spec.

1. Requirement: 2

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7.1

3. Criticality: Editorial

4. Comments/justifications for changes: I’m not sure what you mean by “structured.”

1. Requirement: 3

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7.2

3. Criticality: Major

4. Comments/justifications for changes:  If a TileMatrix within the associated TileMatrixSet is not included in this list… does that mean it is not valid?  For example if a TMS has TileMatrices with Identifiers 0-10 and this TileMatrixSetLimits only includes 0-5… what is to be inferred regarding 6-10?  This should probably be addressed to avoid ambiguity.

1. Requirement: 3

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7.2

3. Criticality: Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes: Footnote A in Table 4 states that the tileMatrix element is an “identifier to a tileMatrix”. Does that mean that the value here is always the same as a TileMatrix::identifier?  And if so, should this be ows:CodeType to match?  Or is this a URI pointing to an identifier somewhere?  If the latter, an example somewhere would be helpful.

1. Requirement: 5

2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7.3

3. Criticality: Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes:  Is there any enforcement on format for these external documents? If a client doesn’t know how to parse these referenced documents, then that could be frustrating.

1. Requirement: 4/5

2. Implementation Specification Section number: Annex X

3. Criticality: Major

4. Comments/justifications for changes:  Examples of the TileMatrixSet2D and TileMatrixSetLink2D classes should be provided in an Annex to facilitate understanding of the requirements.

Matthew Cechini
Contractor, Science Systems and Applications, Inc.
NASA GIBS Systems/Software Engineer
410.205.6272