[Requests] FW: comments on Abstract Specification Topic for Discrete Global Grid Systems (DGGS) from Universal Postal Union (UPU)

OGC PortalAdmin portaladmin at opengeospatial.org
Thu Apr 6 11:25:34 EDT 2017

Resent on behalf of Patricia VIVAS.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	FW: [TC-Announce] OGC seeks public comment on new Abstract
Specification Topic for Discrete Global Grid Systems (DGGS)
Date: 	Wed, 5 Apr 2017 12:13:03 +0000
From: 	VIVAS patricia <patricia.VIVAS at upu.int>
To: 	'requests at lists.opengeospatial.org' <requests at lists.opengeospatial.org>
CC: 	'info at opengeospatial.org' <info at opengeospatial.org>

Grid System Abstract Specification Topic, the Universal Postal Union
(UPU), as specialized agency of United Nations in charge of postal
issues, would like to contribute to this document with comments. However
due to various external factors, it would be very difficult to provide
you with our comments within the time limits.

Nevertheless the UPU reminds interested in the topic for several
reasons.  On the one hand, the UPU is actively involved in the
development of postal addressing, including postcodes. At the UPU we
know that providing an address for everyone remains a challenge. On the
other hand, during the last decade with the advent of internet and
communication through electronic networks and more recently with the
generalization of the use of maps and coordinates, we have witnessed an
evolution in the way in which addresses are generated and used. The
increase use of geographic information systems (GIS) have resulted in
recent years in the invention of numerous new means for geo-coding /
geo-locating points more quickly and at a much lower cost than
heretofore possible using traditional addressing systems. However, these
grid systems (actually called Discrete Global Grid Systems) do not
generate addresses properly speaking, as per addressable object, but
uses a hierarchy of equal area tessellations to partition the surface of
the Earth into grid cells, and do not identify an object as addresses
do, but a cell on the ground. These grid systems are meant to be used
with devices, which could limit the use and access of such systems by
the population in general. We should remind at this point that the UPU
White paper states that address infrastructures are global public goods,
which means that should be non-rival and non-excludable. Furthermore,
these systems use algorithms to translate coordinates into geo-codes
which are often not open sourced and not free of use for the user,
especially for international bulk mailers or international logistics
companies. Finally these grid systems are not interoperable and often
incompatible at international level  from a purely postal point of view.

In view of the above, the UPU would like to know if there is a
possibility for an extended deadline for submission of comments.

With our kind regards,

*Patricia Vivas***