[Requests] Comments on WaterML2.0 part 2 (15-018)

Satoshi Yamaguchi satoshi.yamaguchi.qj at hitachi.com
Fri May 8 02:28:24 EDT 2015

----------------------------
PART A
----------------------------
1. Evaluator:
Satoshi Yamaguchi
Hitachi Power Solutions Co., Ltd.
Phone: +81-3-5297-0511
E-mail: satoshi.yamaguchi.qj at hitachi.com

Yoshito Kikumori
National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management,
Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Japan
Phone: +81-29-864-3052
E-mail: kikumori-y92ta at nilim.go.jp

*The corresponding author is Satoshi Yamaguchi.

2. Submission:
OGC WaterML2.0: part 2 - Ratings, Gaugings and Sections candidate
standard (15-018)

----------------------------
PART B
----------------------------
1. Requirement #1: unit of measure for discharge should be m3/s
2. Implementation Specification Section number: examples/collection-
example.xml
3. Criticality: minor
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
We found that cumecs are used as a unit of measure for discharge in
examples/collection-example.xml (written as <swe:uom code="cumecs"/>).
swe:uom is requred in OGC SWE Common Data Model Encoding Standard
defines as follows:
--
Req 64. The UCUM code for a unit of measure shall be used as the value
of the "code" XML attribute whenever it can be constructed using the

----------------------------
1. Requirement #2: example of SectionObservation should be indicated
2. Implementation Specification Section number: 8.5.3
3. Criticality: minor
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
We could not find any examples of SectionObservation in the examples
folder. We hope that xml files indicating usage of SectionObservation
are added to the examples folder.
Also, we would highly appreciate it if you answer the following our
questions and describe the answers into the specification document.
1) In our nation, a cross section data is stored in a csv file and
described as a 2-dimensional line string. The coordinate of each point
is (distance from left bank in meter, elevation in meter). The precision
of each point is (0.01m, 0.01m). In this case, calculating the area of
the cross section is straightforward. We are not sure that we can
calculate correct area from the representation of a cross section in
WaterML 2 part 2, which uses GM_MultiPoint.
2) We think that our representation of cross section is one of numerous
approaches to defining the coordinates for a cross section geometry.
Jackson and Maidment [2014] listed coordinate systems for river cross
sections (see Section 3.2.1.2 Coordinate systems in their paper). Our
abovementioned representation is refereed as station-elevation sections
express. We are not sure that the target of WaterML 2 part 2 is a part
of these coordinate systems and future extension of this specification
is possible to express other coordinate systems.
Jackson, S. R. and Maidment, D. R.: RiverML: A Harmonized Transfer
Language for River Hydraulic Models, CRWR Online Report 14-5, 2014.
http://external.opengeospatial.org/twiki_public/pub/HydrologyDWG/NewYorkWorkshop2014/RiverML_Harmonization_August_2014.pdf

Satoshi Yamaguchi, Ph.D.
satoshi.yamaguchi.qj at hitachi.com
Engineer, Information Systems Dept.
Hitachi Power Solutions Co., Ltd.
  2-2, Kanda Tacho, Chiyoda, Tokyo 101-0046, Japan
  Tel: +81-3-5297-0511