[Requests] OGC Web Coverage Service - Transaction operation extension - Comment

Timothy Astle timothy.astle at caris.com
Fri Jun 26 14:48:38 EDT 2015

A couple of questions:

_Requirement 8 _
/After completion of a successful InsertCoverage request, the identifier
of the coverage established in the server’s offering shall be listed as
an existing coverage in this WCS service’s Capabilities document./

OGC 06-121r9 (OGC Web Services Common Standard) still allows for the
idea of an "otherSource" for finding OWS content.  Is the above
requirement mandating thatwhen implementing a WCS-T, you must describe
the coverage in the Capabilities' CoverageSummary list? I'm concerned
that when dealing with a large amount of coverages, that could really
degrade the performance of a system.

_References to Grids_

I definitely see value to this transactional extension to WCS.  I'm
definitely interested to watch WCS grow beyond gridded data. In this
particular extension, I seereferences to grids and grid-related
terminology and concepts.  I'm concerned that if / when point cloudsor
TINs are introduced as extensions, that this specification might not
makesense in some contexts.  For example, if a WCS was created that
specialized in TINs, the optional grid parameters wouldn't really
apply.  Is the intent that this is a "grid transactional operation
extension" or a "general coverage operation extension"? Would a future
point cloud transactional extension becreated for point cloud
operations?  Iguess I'm just asking for clarification.

Thankyou for your time and consideration.

--
Tim Astle
Development Manager for Web Technologies

*CARIS* <http://www.caris.com>
115 Waggoners Lane
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Canada    E3B 2L4
Tel: +1.506.458.8533     Fax: +1.506.459.3849
www.caris.com <http://www.caris.com>

*Connect with CARIS*
Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/CARIS_GIS> | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3217878> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/CARIS-The-Marine-GIS-Experts/123907500987669?v=app_4949752878>
<https://plus.google.com/b/114389770462919844434/114389770462919844434/posts>
| YouTube <http://www.youtube.com/user/CARISGIS>

Download your free copy of CARIS Easy View today!
www.caris.com/easyview <http://www.caris.com/easyview>

intended only for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended
recipient(s) please notify us by email reply. You should not use,
disclose, distribute or copy this communication if received in error.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. No binding
contract will result from this email until such time as a written
document is signed on behalf of the company.