[Requests] MFC - Comments on Candidate OGC WMTS Simple Profile (OGC 13-082)

Cechini, Matthew F. (GSFC-586.0)[COLUMBUS TECHNOLOGIES AND SERVICES INC] matthew.f.cechini at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 17 12:44:36 EDT 2014

        Matt Cechini
Matthew.F.Cechini at nasa.gov

2. Submission:
OGC 13-082 / OGC WMTS Simple Profile

-------- COMMENT #1 ----------

1. Requirement:
Many

2. Implementation Specification Section number:
1. Scope

3. Criticality:
Editorial

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

   #6 - Typo.  "identifier of the layer or black if ... " should be "identifier of the layer or blank if ..."
   #7 - Typo.  "coordenate" should be "coordinate"
   #7 - Typo.  "iqual" should be "equal"
   #7 - Rewording.  "where all TileMatrix using a topLeftCorner ..." should be "where all TileMatrix elements have a topLeftCorner ..."
   #8 - Typo.  "coordenate" should be "coordinate"
   #8 - Typo.  "iqual" should be "equal"
   #8 - Rewording.  "where all TileMatrix using a topLeftCorner ..." should be "where all TileMatrix elements have a topLeftCorner ..."

-------- COMMENT #2 ----------

1. Requirement:
N/A

2. Implementation Specification Section number:
i. Abstract

3. Criticality:
Major

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

It would be helpful to include links to existing tile access services (Bing, Google, OSM, etc) that this spec is aiming to harmonize with.  This could go in the Abstract or Preface. The justification is a little weak without examples I can sink my teeth into.  Specifically, I would like to see the tile size and topLeftCorner values verified by links to other tile matrix servers not using WMTS that we are trying to integrate with.

-------- COMMENT #3 ----------

1. Requirement:
6

2. Implementation Specification Section number:
7.5 Fixed URL template

3. Criticality:
Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes:
Is it intentional that the leading '/' for layer and TileMatrixSet are within the {}? This seems like it will make implementation by a WMTS-Simple server very difficult because it will not know which element is being provided.

-------- COMMENT #4 ----------

1. Requirement:
7

2. Implementation Specification Section number:
7.6 Fixed TileMatrixSet definition

3. Criticality:
Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes:
   It's not clear whether the http://www.opengis.net/spec/wmts-simple/1.0/conf/simple-profile is required or not when supporting the mercator projection imagery.  I think it should be required, since we require the /CRS84 URI if the CRS84 projection is supported.

-------- COMMENT #5 ----------

1. Requirement:
8

2. Implementation Specification Section number:
7.6 Fixed TileMatrixSet definition

3. Criticality:
Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes:
   Should the topLeftCorner coordinate be "-180.0,90.0" or "-180.0 90.0", the latter not having a comma.

Matthew Cechini
Contractor, Columbus Technologies & Services
Systems Engineer
NASA GSFC / ESDIS Project Code 423
O: 301.614.5288
C: 410.205.6272(NASA)

Note:  I am not a government employee and have no legal authority to obligate any federal, state, or local government to perform any action or payment.