[Requests] Phased Approach - Extend each existing WxS standard for REST

Jeff Harrison jharrison at thecarbonproject.com
Sat Aug 18 10:25:58 EDT 2012

PART A

1. Evaluator: Jeff Harrison, The Carbon Project

2. Submission: GeoServices REST API - Phased Approach - Extend each existing
WxS standard for REST

PART B

1. Requirement: All

2. Implementation Specification Section number: All

3. Criticality: Major

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

The "phased approach" should be to rapidly extend each existing OGC WxS
standard for REST, one by one.  This will produce consensus-based,
supportable REST standards much sooner than GeoServices REST API.

In my previous post, I discussed how "a phased approach ..., feedback,
harmonization, development and acceptance of these parts" would be necessary
before the GeoServices REST API Candidate could be accepted, because it
would give time for "integration of interoperability points to enable the
use of existing OGC Services in a hybrid architecture" and "allow developers
to build reference implementations and verify concepts".

The post on "Extending current OGC WxS to support REST" outlines the most
efficient way of achieving these goals  - extending the approved  WxS
protocol bindings to WxS-REST.  This builds on standards we already have
instead of replicating them.  Extending standards avoids overlap,
duplication and confusion, shortens learning time for developers, and avoids
the cost and delay of building new compliance tests, writing new
documentation, and doubling the support effort.

I earlier discussed that it is important to "allow developers to build
reference implementations and verify concepts".  Reference implementations
already exist for the core WxS family, and it will be straightforward to
enhance them for the extended standards, saving even more effort and money
for OGC and developers alike.

OGC accepted WMTS-REST in 2010, and has only months to go for WFS-REST.

It's apparent we should not pursue redundant REST standards, so the most
efficient choice is to continue extending WxS to support REST, enhance them
with elements of 'GeoServices REST' functionality needed for the future, add
support to GeoJSON and drop GeoServices REST API from consideration.

In summary, the "phased approach" should be to extend each existing WxS
standard for REST, one by one.  This approach would increase
interoperability,  enable data services reuse, support client and server
applications with a consistent set of APIs, reduce development costs and
risk, and promote adoption of OGC specifications in the market.

--

Jeff Harrison
CEO, The Carbon Project