[Requests] REST GeoServices Feature Service Comments
ekeighan at cubewerx.com
Tue Aug 14 11:47:54 EDT 2012
1. Evaluator: Edric Keighan - CubeWerx Inc.
2. Submission: GeoServices REST API --- All
1. Requirement: All
2. Implementation Specification Section number: All
3. Criticality: Major
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
The name of the specification is inappropriate in today's evolving state
of REST technology and should be changed to exclude REST from its title.
The overuse of GET and POST in the specification is considered by many
as common mistakes in REST. The following comments illustrate that point:
* The deletion of resources is not accomplished via the HTTP DELETE
operation. Instead, they are accomplished via an overloaded POST
operation that is contrary to the principals of REST.
* Many of the URLs refer to operations rather than resources.E.g., the
URL of a map is "<...>/export?<parameters>".The URL therefore
specifies the operation and not the resources.
* There are a few resources (such as maps) that can be requested via
either HTTP GET or HTTP POST.The usage of HTTP POST as a glorified
GET operation is contrary to the principals of REST.
In addition, the initial constraints imposed by the selection of the
software tools that lead to the GeoServices API specification have for
most parts disappeared (see section 6.2.2 of GeoServices REST API - Part
The specification as currently written is at best a work-around, already
outdated, and does not respond to current requirements for using REST.
President & CEO
Tel: 819-771-8303 ex.207
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Requests