[Requests] GeoServices REST API [Secure Dimensions comments]

Andreas Matheus andreas.matheus at secure-dimensions.de
Sun Aug 12 10:53:27 EDT 2012

PART A

1. Evaluator: Andreas Matheus, Secure Dimensions GmbH
2. Submission: GeoServices REST API

PART B

1. Requirement: n/a
2. Implementation Specification Section number: n/a
3. Criticality: Major
4. Comments/justifications for changes: Please remove the word ³REST² from
the title as it seems to be misleading and irrelevant for this submission .

The use of the word ³REST² in the title of this submission should be
postpone until a firm and consensus definition exists within the OGC. But to
the best of my knowledge, this is not the case.

If not removed, this submission should clearly state what the submitting
organizations¹ definition of ³REST² is and provide a disclaimer that this
does not necessarily represent the understanding of the OGC membership: The
document 12-054r1 describes in section 6 ³Fundamentals of the GeoServices
REST API² and in particular in section 6.2 ³REST and pragmatic
considerations² the approach taken. I find the argumentation incomplete and
not substantial enough as an argument for having the word ³REST² in the
title. I furthermore see it problematic to use a non standard publication as
the ³helper² for describing ³REST² in an OGC implementation standard:
³RESTful Web Services Cookbook from Subbu Allamaraju². Following the
³resolvable² reference from the Bibliography section, you find in the
abstract a statement about REST: ³While the REST design philosophy has
captured the imagination of web and enterprise developers alike, using this
approach to develop real web services is no picnic.². As this is maze fully
true, I wonder if a more firm statement can be found in this publication.
Also, I have heard other publications in this context that are not
referenced. Because of a missing definition, I ask the submitters to rewrite
section 6.2 and provide a clear definition of ³REST² relevant within the
context of this submission.

Andreas

Secure Dimensions GmbH
Waxensteinstr. 28, 81377 Munich, Germany
Managing Director: Andreas Matheus
Chamber of Commerce Munich: HRB 178441
Web: http://www.secure-dimensions.com
Phone: +49 (0)89 38151813