[Requests] [Geopriv] FYI: OGC Seeks Comments on MovingObjectSnapshot Standard

Thomson, Martin Martin.Thomson at andrew.com
Sun Jul 25 10:45:48 EDT 2010

Preface:

This is all written with the experience of building a (very) similar solution for the IETF:

  <http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-singh-geopriv-pidf-lo-dynamic/>

As well as involvement in W3C geolocation and their efforts in this field.

My comments are motivated by wanting to minimize the differences between solutions.

PART A

1. Evaluator: Martin Thomson <mailto:martin.thomson at andrew.com>
2. Submission: Moving Object Snapshot (10-034r3)

PART B

1. Requirement: n/a
2. Implementation Specification Section number: 5.2
3. Criticality: Major
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
Vertical position is not provided within the Point element, it is instead provided as a separate element.  While there is precedent for this, it is unnecessary and it actually complicates the implementation of the specification.  Using 4326 where the altitude/elevation is unknown and 4979 where the elevation is known would be both simpler and easier to implement.

1. Requirement: n/a
2. Implementation Specification Section number: 5.3
3. Criticality: Minor
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
The description of the local tangent plane could be expanded upon to include a more rigorous definition in terms of the position.  This definition could define vectors in WGS84 ECEF Cartesian space, for example.

1. Requirement: n/a
2. Implementation Specification Section number: 7
3. Criticality: Major
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
The scalarAcceleration component lacks description in the body of the document.  However, I would recommend its removal entirely.  A more complete (and therefore useful) specification for instantaneous acceleration is under discussion in the W3C in relation to their device orientation API.

1. Requirement: n/a
2. Implementation Specification Section number: 5.4
3. Criticality: Minor
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
The document only provides for a definition of velocity on the LTP.  This is likely to be constraining for many applications.

1. Requirement: n/a
2. Implementation Specification Section number: 6
3. Criticality: Editorial
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
The example does not include an srsName attribute.

--Martin