[Requests] Request for Comments (10-034r3)

Fairgrieve, Scott M (IS) Scott.Fairgrieve at ngc.com
Wed Jul 14 09:56:22 EDT 2010

PART A

1. Evaluator:  Scott Fairgrieve

2. Submission: 10-034r3

PART B

1. Requirement: General

2. Implementation Specification Section number: General

3. Criticality: Major

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

My concern with this specification is how it aligns with and/or competes
with SWE.  I think the specification is great from a simplicity
standpoint and great from a GML standpoint, but it also seems to compete
directly with SWE.  The information contained in a MovingObjectSnapshot
can easily be represented as an O & M Observation with a SWE Common
result.  I see the sentence in this document that says SWE can be used
for more complex use cases, but the use case for MovingObjectSnapshot is
a very sensor-centric use case that is exactly what SWE was designed
for.  I am not against the specification, I just feel that we should
explore how this will impact the use of SWE for handling the same
information/use case as MovingObjectSnapshot.  In the end, I don't want
to see us create competition or confusion within our standards that
ultimately reduces interoperability.  I think it would make sense for
the OGC to release a document illustrating how moving objects can be
described using OGC standards that would include a profile of GML and a
profile of SWE and describing in what situations to use each profile and
the pros/cons of each profile.

1. Requirement: General

2. Implementation Specification Section number: General

3. Criticality: Minor?

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

What element/attribute identifies the feature that is moving in the
current specification?  If we're talking about describing the movement
of a car or a person, where is the car, person, etc. identified in the
elements in a MovingObjectSnapshot document?  I'm not an expert in GML,
so this could be obvious, but some more examples showing how a
MovingObjectSnapshot refers to a particular feature that is moving would
be helpful.

1. Requirement: General

2. Implementation Specification Section number: General

3. Criticality: Minor

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

Rather than specifying the point location in EPSG 4326 2D coordinates,
why not specify the point location in EPSG 4979 3D coordinates and
eliminate the separate elevation element?