[Requests] Request for comment on Sensor Alert Service

Oliver Newell olivern at ll.mit.edu
Sun Dec 9 20:39:34 EST 2007

        Oliver Newell
        MIT Lincoln Laboratory
        olivern at LL.mit.edu

2. Submission: [OpenGIS Project Doc 06-028r5  Sensor Alert Service]

Response to call for public comment

PART B

1. Requirement:

2. Implementation Specification Section number:

3. Criticality: [Not sure what to put here, given my comments below! :-) ]

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

a.  One function of the SAS seems to be to serve as a registry. It is
not clear why the CSW/WRS specs are not being leveraged for these needs.

b.  The spec mentions that it overlaps with WS-Notification, but that
harmonization will occur at a later time. Why not now, before it becomes
a official spec? I think it would be useful to see a table of
functionality that could NOT be provided by a service based on
WS-Notification (WSN)

c.  The SWE architecture white paper recently released implies that the
SAS does not function as a data transfer mechanism, just a registry. It
appears from the SAS spec that this is not the case, and the SAS service
provides some of its own data transfer mechanisms.

d. A general comment is that an alert service seems like a very general,
non sensor-specific thing. It is not made clear why a sensor-specific
service has been chosen as the way to go (Apologies if I simply missed
the reasoning, since I only skimmed the document)

-Oliver