[SensorML] SensorML Dictionaries

John Graybeal graybeal at mbari.org
Tue Mar 10 14:16:03 EDT 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Nunner, Thomas wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> thank you very much for the information! It was very useful!
>
> As far as I understand, there is no ontology for space/remote
> sensing related systems. But the crucial factor to use SensorML is
> also the use of an ontology (to specify which terms are allowed and
> to make sure every one is using the same term e.g. for naming a
> digital camera always "camera" and not one time call it "cam" and
> the next time "digital camera" and so on).
>
> Which editor do you use and is there an editor which can also
> integrate
> an ontology by showing the allowed terms for a certain element?
> I found the UAH SensorML Editor was not working properly (for
> example you can not choose "spatialReferenceFrame" for the component
> type).
>
> Sorry for all the questions but I am new to SensorML and I try to
> understand the possibilities of this standard but also the effort to
> use it.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
>
> P.S.: I found a very basic dictionary/ontology from EAS:
>
> http://ws.spotimage.com/SensorML/ESA/dictionary/?C=S;O=A

Sorry, was hoping someone else would fill this gap while I drowned
elsewhere...  Because this fed a few gaps of my own, I did some
research. Thank you for your own addition!  I know it is hard at
first. (By the way, wasn't sure if you meant 'devices to observe
space', or 'devices to observe *from* space' -- they are somewhat
mingled here.)

There are several ontologies for space/remote sensing, but most may
not be of interest. My ontology search skills are still rudimentary,
but one I know about without search is SWEET 2.0[1], in particular the
space-related ones (space, spaceCoordinates, spaceObject) for space
concepts, and the sci-related ones (sciInstrument, sciSystem) for
components.

MMI's Platform Ontology [2A] could use additional fleshing out in
space devices, but may be helpful. The Device Ontology by MMI [2B],
still very not-there-yet, is not meant to be restrictive to marine
devices thought that is the inspiration. (With the  just-announced W3C
effort on a device ontology[3], something more better faster may come
along. Maybe this email will even help....)

The ontologies for the Virtual Solar Terrestrial Observatory (VSTO)
[4] include some instrumentation references, I haven't had a chance to
see if they're likely to apply. There is also a list of publications
which may give helpful perspective[5].

GCMD includes some specific vocabularies listing space instrumentation
and platforms [6A,6B] but these are in service of the data sets GCMD
keeps, and are not aimed at programmatic access. But it's a great long
list, worth considering.

There is (interestingly) a NASA Taxonomy independent of SWEET and GCMD
(I think), including a healthy list of both instruments [7A] and
missions/projects [7B].

To find ones I didn't know about I tried Watson[8], Swoogle[9] but
didn't find much else, mainly
   http://www.simondfraser.co.uk/geo_ontbugs.daml

The principal choices I know about for editing heavy duty XML (as
SensorML is) are XMLSpy (Windows/Mac-Parallels/Linux-Wine) and Oxygen
(Mac/Windows/Linux).  They can only choose from a specific set of
terms if the schema defines that (hmm, I'm at the limit of my
expertise here, but I think that's right), which SensorML will not
(conceivably you could extend it -- definitely beyond my personal
experience).  I hope the SensorML editor proves a worthy contribution,
but I am sure developing it is challenging.

If/when you decide to build your own controlled vocabulary for your
needs, may I suggest the MMI Guides for an overview[10] of that kind
of thing, and possibly MMI's Ontology Registry[11] for publishing your
vocabulary (though still early beta and for marine purposes, when
you're ready maybe it will be too).  Should you build an ontology of
your own, two principal choices for editor of ontologies are Protege
(free) and TopBraid (expensive). You can find a list of tools for
working with ontologies in the MMI Guides [12].

My guess is that your best bet for your first go-round is to focus on
finding or creating an appropriate controlled vocabulary, and agree as
a practice to only use that vocabulary in SensorML.  This is what
OOSTethys[13] does, for example.

John

[1] SWEET 2.0: http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.0/
[2A] Platform Ontology work: http://marinemetadata.org/community/teams/ontplatforms
[2B] Device Ontology work: http://marinemetadata.org/community/teams/ontdevices
[3] W3C Semantic Sensor Incubator: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/
[4] VSTO Ontologies: http://vsto.org/forward.htm?forward=ontology
[5] VSTO ontology papers: http://vsto.hao.ucar.edu/publications.php
[6A] GCMD instruments: http://gcmd.nasa.gov/KeywordSearch/Refinement.do?Refinement=Instruments
[6B] GCMD platforms: http://gcmd.nasa.gov/KeywordSearch/Keywords.do?KeywordPath=Platforms
[7A] NASA Taxonomy of Instruments: http://nasataxonomy.jpl.nasa.gov/2.0/instruments/
[7B] NASA Taxonomy of Missions/Projects: http://nasataxonomy.jpl.nasa.gov/2.0/missionsprojects/
[8] Watson ontology search engine: http://watson.kmi.open.ac.uk/WatsonWUI/
[9] Swoogle ontology search engine: http://swoogle.umbc.edu
[10] Overview of controlled vocabularies: http://marinemetadata.org/guides
[11] MMI Ontology Registry: http://mmisw.org/or
[12] Overview of ontology tools: http://marinemetadata.org/guides/vocabs/ontologies/ontsoftware
[13] OOSTethys: http://www.oostethys.org

On Mar 5, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Nunner, Thomas wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> thank you very much for the information! It was very useful!
>
> As far as I understand, there is no ontology for space/remote
> sensing related systems. But the crucial factor to use SensorML is
> also the use of an ontology (to specify which terms are allowed and
> to make sure every one is using the same term e.g. for naming a
> digital camera always "camera" and not one time call it "cam" and
> the next time "digital camera" and so on).
>
> Which editor do you use and is there an editor which can also
> integrate
> an ontology by showing the allowed terms for a certain element?
> I found the UAH SensorML Editor was not working properly (for
> example you can not choose "spatialReferenceFrame" for the component
> type).
>
> Sorry for all the questions but I am new to SensorML and I try to
> understand the possibilities of this standard but also the effort to
> use it.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
>

> P.S.: I found a very basic dictionary/ontology from EAS:
>
> http://ws.spotimage.com/SensorML/ESA/dictionary/?C=S;O=A

John