[SensorML] SensorML Dictionaries

John Graybeal graybeal at mbari.org
Thu Mar 5 11:26:45 EST 2009

Thomas,

OGC is developing a repository for the OGC URIs, it is at http://urn.opengis.net/

As you will see it is relatively lightly populated but I expect this
will change.

URNs are not self-resolving, of course, so terms that begin 'urn:'
will have to be plugged into a known repository such as OGC's.  It is
partly for this reason that some organizations have concluded that
URLs are a better choice for such concepts. (This debate will go on,
and involve still other unique web identifier types. More on this at )

Additional repositories are being developed by other organizations.
MMI has a community repository at http://mmisw.org/or which is still
late alpha/early beta, but is relatively easy to get started with.  It
is focused on the marine community, though we hope to extend it to
earth science use if our latest proposal is funded, and we won't kick
you off if you want to try it in the meantime.  You can get instant
gratification of the type you seek by entering a URL in your browser
like
   http://mmisw.org/ont/q2o/qcCategory/signalToNoise

I know the space science community will need such a repository and the
IVAO folks or Peter Fox et al may have something in mind, but so far I
don't know of a chosen repository.

I've listed a couple of self-serving references below, but there are
others that are referenced at MMI and elsewhere.  Let me know if you
have trouble finding more information.

John

[1] MMI Guide on opaque vs meaningful URIs:
    http://marinemetadata.org/guides/vocabs/ont/provider/createvocabont
[2] MMI Ontology Providers Guide on URLs vs URNs:
   http://marinemetadata.org/apguides/ontprovidersguide/ontguideuris
[3] Technical description of MMI's URI dereferencing approach:
    http://marinemetadata.org/community/teams/ont/generaldocuments/onturideref

On Mar 5, 2009, at 2:36 AM, Nunner, Thomas wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> I am working at a research institute with primary focus on remote
> sensing, photogrammetry and space related topics. Introducing
> SensorML could be a great benefit for us and our partners because
> most of our projects involve a lot of different institutions all
> around the world. Therefore the use of SensorML should be tested
> during a new project.
>
> Currently the main concern is the availability of adequate
> dictionaries for definitions. Is there an official OGC dictionary?
>
> Can somebody tell me where for example
>

> xlink:href="urn:ogc:def:cs:xyzFrame"
>

> and
>

> definition="urn:ogc:classifier:platformType"
>

> are pointing to?
>

> Any information would be greatly appreciated!
>

> All the best,
>
> Thomas

John