[SensorML] Binary SensorML encodings for small devices

Steve Donovan SJDonova at csir.co.za
Wed Mar 4 10:15:26 EST 2009

Thanks, that's extremely interesting.  We are in fact already using 1451.4 TEDS, but using it outside its original spirit, which is to provide a way for transducers to announce their detailed analog properties, etc, to an on-board processor. Whereas we are using it to describe the properties of the measured binary data generated by a node in a WSN, in the SensorML sense.  The mapping you describe in your paper seems the right way to harmonize these two worlds.

steve d.

>>> Peizhao Hu <peizhao at itee.uq.edu.au> 04/03/2009 16:02 >>>
Hi Steve;

For resource constrained sensors, there is an industrial standard,
called IEEE 1451. It offers a TEDS description about sensor, which is
prepared by the sensor manufacturers.
Within IEEE 1451.2, National Instrument has defined an electronic
version of TEDS, named VTEDS [1].

You should be able to follow the template to encode some common feature
of sensors.

One approach is to create mapping from TEDS to SensorML, as described in
[2].

[1] http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4043
[2]
http://nicta.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/15652/Sensor_Standards-_Overview_and_Experiences.pdf