[SensorML] Defining XML Outputs

Kris McGlinn mcglinnk at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Jul 25 09:00:37 EDT 2008

Hey Guys,

I am working on a project called NEMBES and we are considering using
sensorML as a basis for describing sensors. I have been looking at the
documentation and much of our own work on defining sensor systems
overlaps with sensorML...which makes the use of sensorML all the more
attractive as a good standard to tie our own models into.

I have two question really. the first is regarding defining outputs in
sensorML. If you wish to define an output as an xml message,for example
something like:

How would you go about doing that? Is that what the encoding section is
for? how would a data output like that look in sensorML? In the examples
given, most outputs are defined as decimal values to decimal values etc.
How would you go about defining the actual structure of a xml output?
This would be useful to know on two accounts, as systems with sensorML
definitions of sensors could cross reference an input to this model and
infer the type of sensor it is dealing with...

Also, I notice in the data types section you have a quality and category
defined. Now lets say I have a sensor that is converting a hertz input
into a distance output (after calibration of course), but this
transformation is also influenced by different factors which introduce
noise/inaccuracy to the signal. I wish to define different levels of
accuracy at different levels of granularity from the origin of the
transceiver...so to make that more clear, if the transmitter is close to
the transceiver, you can expect a certain output with a certain level of
accuracy, but as you move further away that information becomes
gradually less reliable. I want to represent that in the sensorML model.

I hope those two questions are clear!

All help is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Kris.