[SensorML] SweCommon: Time

Johannes Echterhoff echterhoff at uni-muenster.de
Thu Jun 21 10:27:03 EDT 2007

Hi.

I have a question concerning the possible meanings of swe:Time. Such an
element can have four different representations: a string (before,
after, now or unknown from gml:TimeIndeterminateValueType), a double,
xs:data, xs:time or xs:dateTime.

The meaning of each of the possible representations is quite different:

    * gml:TimeIndeterminateValueType does not provide a specific time
      instance but rather an indeterminate value (as the name says)
    * The double value would always have to be computed with respect to
      the given referenceFrame. This could result in a time instance but
      could also be a duration or recurring time depending on the
      reference frame, or am I missing something?
    * xs:date defines a duration (one-day long) at a specific date (e.g.
      2007-06-07).
    * xs:time represents an instant of time that recurs every day.
    * xs:dateTime finally represents a specific instance of time.

My question is: was it intended to allow all of these different meanings
for the swe:Time element? I thought that swe:Time would represent an
instance of time in the end, but now I am no longer sure about that.

Best regards,
    Johannes

--
Johannes Echterhoff
Institute for Geoinformatics (IfGI), University of Muenster, Germany

Fon: +49 (0)251 83 39761
Fax: +49 (0)251 83 39763

IfGI-site: http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/