[Requests] GeoTiff Media Type

Matthias Mohr m.mohr at uni-muenster.de
Tue May 14 10:30:07 EDT 2019

Dear all,

this is my first comment I ever made to the OGC and the template is not
explained in the call for comments, therefore please excuse if I may
have not filled the fields as expected.
Also, I'm not sure whether GitHub issues in the geotiff repository are
taken into account for the GeoTiff call for comments, therefore this is
basically a duplicate of https://github.com/opengeospatial/geotiff/issues/34

         Matthias Mohr, University of Münster
         m.mohr at uni-muenster.de

2. Submission: OGC GeoTIFF Standard (19-008) (PDF)

PART B

1. Requirement: General

2. Implementation Specification Section number: Chapter 8. Media Types
for GeoTIFF data encoding

3. Criticality: Major

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

In metadata and other use-cases, there is a need to specify of which
type a file is to allow clients to handle them appropriately. Software
implementers came up with different media types to describe GeoTIFFs as
a special form of TIFFs:

* image/tiff is regularly used
* image/geotiff I also see quite often
* OGC WPS 1.0 came up with image/tiff;subtype=geotiff
* STAC uses image/vnd.stac.geotiff
* I could also think of using image/geo+tiff (similar to
application/geo+json)
* There are probably even more invented media types out there.

This shows there is a clear need in practical use cases/implementations
to be able to know by media type what kind of file is to be expected.
For example, showing GeoTiff files on a browser-based map doesn't work
with a normal TIFF file and therefore it is handy to know the media type
before requesting and loading the (potentially very large) file.
I strongly support that there should be a single and distinct media type
for GeoTiff in the final specification.

Another issue to take into consideration: How to handle sub types like
cloud optimized GeoTiffs?

Best,
Matthias Mohr