[Requests] Comments on OGC WaterML 2.0 (10-126r2)

Satoshi Yamaguchi satoshi.yamaguchi.vk at hitachi.com
Fri Feb 17 06:38:47 EST 2012

Dear WaterML 2.0 authors,

We (S. Yamaguchi and H. Sato) subscribe comments for
"OGC WaterML 2.0: part 1 - Time Series Encoding Standard (10-126r2)".
I (S. Yamaguchi) will attend the next Austin TC meeting, so I send it to
you.

Best regards,

----------------------------
PART A
----------------------------
1. Evaluator:
Satoshi Yamaguchi, Researcher, Central Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Ltd.
Phone: +81-42-323-1111 (ext: 4300)
E-mail: satoshi.yamaguchi.vk at hitachi.com

Hiroaki Sato, Director for Information Strategy, Foundation of River &
Basin Integrated Communications, Japan
Phone: +81-3-3239-8447
E-mail: hi-sato at river.or.jp

*Corresponding author is Satoshi Yamguchi.

2. Submission:
OGC WaterML 2.0: part 1 - Time Series Encoding Standard (10-126r2)
----------------------------
PART B
----------------------------
1. Requirement: #1, interpolation type of statistical product
2. Implementation Specification Section number: 9.14.2.3
3. Criticality: Minor
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
As written in Item 6 in page 10, we think that the target of the
specification includes statistical data product. If so, which
Interpolation Type in Section 9.14.2.3 is appropriate to describe the
following statistical data products? The products are X-th largest
discharge and X-th highest water level in 365 or 366 daily mean records
in a year (from 1 Jan to 31 Dec). We do not use arbitrary values for X,
but we just use 95, 185, 275, and 355. We name the indicators: X=95 is
plentiful water, X=185 is ordinary water, X=275 is low water, X=355 is
drought water. We use the products as official statistical indicators of
rivers, because discharge and water level of rivers drastically vary in
Japan. We are afraid that only max, min, average and total can be
described by the specification. Because other statistical indicators may
be used in other nations, 13 types defined in Section 9.14.2.3 are not
enough. We think that a possible solution is adding "others" as 14th
type.
----------------------------
1. Requirement: #2, typo
2. Implementation Specification Section number: 9.11.1 and 9.11.2
3. Criticality: Editorial
4. Comments/justifications for changes:
We found six sections named as Section 9.11.1 and four sections named as
Section 9.11.2 in the document.

----
Satoshi Yamaguchi
Social Information Systems Research Department
Central Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Ltd.
1-280, Higashi-Koigakubo, Kokubunji, Tokyo 185-8601, Japan
tel. +81-42-323-1111 ext. 4300