[Requests] Comments on WCS v2.0

Simon Cox simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Apr 7 11:19:46 EDT 2010

[Unfortunately the link http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/61
is currently not functioning, so I can't retrieve the correct references to
the document clauses.]

        Simon Cox, JRC
2. Submission:
        OGC 09-110rX - WCS 2.0

PART B

1. Comment: 1.

2. Implementation Specification Section number:
         wcsCoverage.xsd, content model for RangeFieldType

3. Criticality: Major

4. Comments/justifications for changes:

The sub-element 'dataType' should have type='gml:ReferenceType'.
This will provide an unambiguous way to refer to data-type identifiers
(using xlink:href instead of some unpredictable combination of codeSpace and
value), and will encourage the use of previously registered datatypes (which
supports interoperability).

If necessary, the UML model should be modified so that the type of this
attribute is a <<codeList>> class.

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
 <mailto:simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu> mailto:simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu
 <http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox>
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox

SDI Unit:  <http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/> http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
IES Institute:  <http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/> http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
JRC:  <http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/> http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

Any opinions expressed are personal unless otherwise indicated.