[Requests] Comments on ISO profile

Andrea Carboni acarboni at crisalis-tech.com
Wed May 17 09:44:59 EDT 2006

PART A ------

1. Evaluator: Andrea Carboni <acarboni at crisalis-tech.com>

2. Submission: OGC Request 35: OpenGIS® Catalogue Services Specification
2.0.1 (with Corrigendum) - ISO Metadata Application Profile (CSW2 AP ISO):
Request for Public Comments

PART B ------

1. Specification Section number: [Annex D]
2. Criticality: [MAJOR]
3. Comments/justifications for changes

As a first consideration, almost al tables have missing borders (PDF draft).

Page 21, sentence with <<Interface>> ...contain any attributes.
If I'm right, attributes should be singular not plural.

Page 31, Figure 8:
The abstract entity on top has an extra _
is _MD_Identification, should be MD_Identification

Page 36, table 8: I think that the correct XPath of the 'modified' field should be:

MD_Metadata/identificationInfo/MD_DataIdentification/citation/CI_Citation/
date/CI_Date[dateType/CI_DateTypeCode/@codeListValue='revision']/date/gco:Date

(maybe replace / with . and remove gco:Date)

Page 37, table 8, 'Type' field: Missing a / before @. Should be:
...MD_ScopeCode/@codeListValue...

Page 38, table 9: there is an extra _ in all 4 bounds:
._DataIdentification should be .DataIdentification

Page 39, Table 10:
Fields 'dc:creator', 'dc:publisher', 'dc:contributor' need CI_ResponsibleParty
after 'citedResponsibleParty'

'dc:date' XPath is wrong. Same as 'modified' (see above)
'dc:language' : cardinality should be removed
'dct:spatial' : 'see table 9' should be 'see table 11'

Page 40, Table 11: BoundingBBox : maybe there is an extra 'B' ?
(should it be BoundingBox instead ?)

Question: how do I specify the queryable properties into the capabilities
document? I have to review the doc but I can't remember any place.

Page 41, table 12: 'CreationDate' XPath is wrong. It should be
corrected in the same way as the 'modified' field.

'OrganisationName' and 'HasSecurityConstraints' : add 'identificationInfo'
after MD_Metadata

'Language': I see a semantic error here. The specified path is
   MD_Metadata/language.
When I do a search, the 'dc:language' returned is
   MD_Metadata/identificationInfo/MD_DataIdentification/language
This is not consistent with the 'Language' field I queried because the
queried location is different from the returned location

I see that you introduced the 'DatasetLanguage' field which mapping
is equal to the 'dc:language' returned field. To be consistent you should:

choose another name for the 'Language' queriable on page 41
change the name 'DatasetLanguage' to 'Language'

Page 42, table 13, GeographicDescriptionCode
replace EXGeographicElement with geographicElement and
GeographicIdentifier should start with a lowercase letter.

SpatialResolution: this is a mess. The row has the row of the 'Type'
field over it.

TempExtent_end: change 'TM_TimePeriod' to 'TimePeriod'

Page 43, table 15, ServiceTypeVersion: a . is missing before SV_ServiceIdentification

Page 44, filter example: maybe it is better to change the namespace
prefix from 'ns1' to 'csw' or maybe you can remove it because it is
the default one.

Page 46, first row: change 'dataset' to 'dataset collection'
row 8: bad typed word 'dewscribed'

paragraph 7.3.1.3, first item in list, change 'dataset' to 'service'

Page 50, table 18, GetReportById: 'POST' is not bold. Is it an error?

Page 65, table 25, VERBOSERESPONSE it is written:

A value of TRUE or the absence of the attribute...

If the attribute is missing the default is FALSE so the correct sentence should be:

A value of FALSE or the absence of the attribute...

Page 67, table 28: Are you sure there is a TYPENAME parameter for the
delete operation? In the update is missing and I think that here is not
of much use.

Page 51: table 19, SERVICE row
According to the xml schema the value is not 'CSW' but 'http://www.opengis.net/cat/csw'

Page 60: table 22, SERVICE row
According to the xml schema the value is not 'CSW' but 'http://www.opengis.net/cat/csw'

SCHEMALANGUAGE row,
According to the xml schema the value is not 'XMLSCHEMA' but
'http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema'