[Mass-Market-GEO] kml:description content model

Michael Ashbridge mashbridge at google.com
Wed Aug 27 17:53:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Rushforth, Peter <prushfor at nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Unfortunately, it also seems to permit attributes on the description
> element, which might be reason enough to discount the notion.

I wasn't aware of that, but it's good enough for me. <description> is
a field, and hence "just" a string in most implementation code. For
example:
http://code.google.com/p/libkml/source/browse/trunk/src/kml/dom/feature.h?r=172#122

Compare with Snippet, which has a maxLines attr and thus can't be a
field and is a heavier object:
http://code.google.com/p/libkml/source/browse/trunk/src/kml/dom/snippet.h#40

>> As things stand with OGC KML
>> 2.2, there _is_ the concept of a feature anchor link that is
>> inlined with the content of description
>
> Could you give an example of that?  I can't find reference to
> "feature anchor link".

"Feature anchor" is internal jargon here -- sorry about that. Read
"Other Behavior Specified Through Use of the <a> Element" in the
description reference:
http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kmlreference.html#description

Some more examples are here:
http://code.google.com/p/kml-samples/source/browse/#svn/trunk/kml/feature-anchor