[Mass-Market-GEO] kml:description content model

Michael Ashbridge mashbridge at google.com
Wed Aug 27 17:44:38 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Sean Gillies <sean.gillies at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Since KML has already incorporated some Atom elements, maybe a few more
> would help.
>
> KML's description element is more or less equivalent to atom:content,
> right? Perhaps a future version could use atom:content and make the
> description element more like atom:summary.
>
> For stepping through placemarks, maybe Earth (or any KML browser) could
> surface a placemark's atom:links with rel types "next" and "prev"?

I like these ideas, Sean. I'm not as well-versed in all things Atom as
I could be, but anything that helps separate out "stuff that gets
blindly drawn in an HTML widget" from "markup the application has to
know about"  sounds like a worthwhile investigation.

Those of you who have attended the MMWG sessions at the most recent
OGC TC's have heard me and my office mate here talk about how we
envision KML being developed within the OGC. (I'll take the acronym
prize for today, thanks.) The short version is "build it first,
standardize later". (A longer version might be: build it, build it
again, then ship it to an interesting number of people, then build and
ship it three more times, then standardize what you've proved is
useful and interesting and backwards compatible...)

In that spirit, I'll strongly encourage anyone with ideas around KML
to fire up their favourite C++ / Python / whatever development
environment first, _before_ opening their XML editor.  :-)