[Mass-Market-GEO] kml:description content model

Michael Ashbridge mashbridge at google.com
Wed Aug 27 15:05:21 EDT 2008

It _should_ be, yes. Historically it is not because the the content of
<description> is mostly* not an interesting part of KML -- it's just a
blob that gets handed to a lump of code that renders the feature
balloon. In that case you never want your KML parser to see any of it,
hence wrapping in CDATA.

[*] More interesting to consider is how/if to surface the concept of a
link better in KML. As things stand with OGC KML 2.2, there _is_ the
concept of a feature anchor link that is inlined with the content of
description, so the above paragraph isn't totally accurate. (Advanced
KML will allow the balloon to have links to the previous/next
features, etc.) It's always seemed somewhat wrong that we do that.