[Mass-Market-GEO] OpenSearch Geo feedback

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Fri Nov 16 12:34:25 EST 2007

Hi Frank - thanks for the questions and suggestions. Replies below:

Frank.Steggink at bentley.com wrote:

> Lat and lon parameters: maybe it's just me, but I would prefer only one
> parameter for location. Now you'll need two parameters to describe one
> location. How about geo:point?

Good suggestion - and easy to add. However, I think keeping lat/lon is
good too as it allows existing services to keep their interface and
just include an OpenSearch description.

> Polygon parameter: there is some discussion about the order of the vertexes.
> Andrew suggested clockwise order here. At the GeoRSS list there is a
> question about the suggested polygon order, and the ESRI Shapefile spec says
> that (the exterior of) a polygon should be also in clockwise order. I think
> it is pretty hard to enforce this. An example: if a client lets a user draw
> a polygon as the search area, the client should not forget to reorder the
> vertexes if the user has drawn it counter clockwise. Do you expect that all
> potential clients will do this?

Yes :) but maybe that's unrealistic. I think the consensus on GeoRSS &
GeoJSON has been to assume the "smallest" (less than 180) bounds on
polygons. I don't necessarily like this, I want to define any
arbitrary polygon boundary, but understand the point.

> How is crossing the date line actually handled for the box parameter? If
> maxX < minX, does it mean that the box crosses the date line?

Yes, this is the idea.

> Lastly, I'm wondering if there are already some clients and servers out
> there using this draft of the OpenSearch Geo extension.

Mapufacture (http://mapufacture.com/mapufacturesearch.xml)

has a description and interface. I've also been making a collection of
services that "could" have an OpenSearch description as they already
have a compatible interface (e.g. Flickr)

> Regards,
>
> Frank Steggink

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W