[GeoSciML] GeoSciML DWG Leuven [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Raymond Oliver Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Mon Apr 15 20:49:34 EDT 2019

Hi Eric,

I can't be there.  But I will telecon if the timing is not too horrendous.

But here's one for the agenda.... Timescale-Lite?

Here at GA, we are really getting into geological web services in a big way, and linking them lots - eg, samples, fieldsites, boreholes, stratigraphic units, geochemistry analyses, etc.  Currently, the majority of these are simple WMS/simple WFS services.  But our stratigraphic units web service will be our first big foray into complex GSML - delivering our entire stratigraphic lexicon database.  One of the things we want to do is filter our stratigraphic units and other services by age, which requires linking to a hierarchical timescale service which contains numerical ages. The current ICS timescale vocabulary doesn't contain filterable numerical ages, and only goes down to stage level (ie, no lower level conodont/graptolite/trilobite/brachiopod biozones) so it is not suitable for our particular needs.  So we are looking at publishing a simple flattened view of our GA timescale database to support age-based queries in our web services that won't need to involve a) publication of a complex timescale ontology as a web service, and b) resolution of complex parent/child and numeric hierarchies.  Maybe something like a table with these columns and example values that would show the entire flattened hierarchy of a given time zone:

ZoneName  (= Tasmanorthis costata)
ZoneName_uri  (= pid.geoscience.gov.au/geologicaltimescale/ga/zone/Tasmanorthis_costata)
Rank (= biozone)
Eon (= Phanerozoic)
Era (= Paleozoic)
Period (= Ordovician)
SubPeriod (= null)
Epoch (= Upper Ordovician)
Stage (= Sandbian)
SubStage (= null)
Biozone (= Tasmanorthis costata)
SubBiozone (= null)
YoungerNumericAge (= 455.40)
OlderNumericAge (= 457.44)
Source  (= Laurie, J.R., 1991. Articulate brachiopods from the Ordovician and Lower Silurian of Tasmania. Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists 11, 1-106. Numeric ages interpolated from ICS 2016 timescale.)

Worth looking at?

Cheers,
Ollie

Ollie Raymond

Senior Geologist  |  Team Lead, Resources Division Information Services
Geoscience Australia

Australia/New Zealand Government Geoscience Information Committee (GGIC)<http://www.geoscience.gov.au/about>
IUGS Commission for the Management and Application of Geoscience Information (CGI<http://www.cgi-iugs.org/>)

P   +61 2 6249 9575    |    M    +61 414 973 005
E   oliver.raymond at ga.gov.au<mailto:oliver.raymond at ga.gov.au>   |   ollieraymond99 at gmail.com<mailto:ollieraymond99 at gmail.com>
Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue and Hindmarsh Drive,  Symonston,  ACT
GPO Box 378,  Canberra,  ACT,  2601,  Australia

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."  -  Will Durant