[Geopackage] Indexing large tile tables

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Wed Sep 19 04:36:33 EDT 2018

Hi,
I've been working on a large raster geopackage, roughly 550GB worth of
tiles covering the entire planet
down to zoom level 13.

At zoom level 13 there are over 130 million tiles, and simply locating the
tiles to render takes time
(up to a couple of seconds in my tests), with what looks like a reasonable
query, something like:

select * from {tilesTable} where zoom_level = 13 and tile_row between {rl}
and {rh} and tile_column between {cl} and {ch}

The reason is simple, on a spec compliant geopackage it results in a
sequential scan (no indexes, checked
the spec, does not seem to mandate one).

I was wondering if it was a good idea to suggest creation of a multi-column
index on zoom_level, tile_row and tile_column
so that performance is uniformly good no matter what the zoom level is,
even on large geopackages.
It's a little extra effort compared to the creation of the whole package,
and would change perception of
performance on large raster GeoPackages.
Of course, one can create the index like I did and enjoy the benefits, but
it may well be that people out
there already tried, the queries were not visible to them, or were not
familiar with SQL, and just
ended up dismissing the format for large deliveries.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V
for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead
GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39
0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549
http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
------------------------------------------------------- *Con riferimento
alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 -
Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali
allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i
destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per
errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le
sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679
“GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information
herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by
telephone or e-mail.*