[Geopackage] How should we register GeoPackage versions inside the SQLite database?

Jeff Yutzler jeffy at imagemattersllc.com
Thu Nov 3 09:25:13 EDT 2016

Brad,
What we do know is that updating the application_id (SQLite magic.txt) each
release is not sustainable. I'm also not a big fan of duck-typing and would
much rather providers disclose up front what they are doing. The fact that
we have to do duck-typing at all is a symptom that we don't have robust
versioning and conformance yet. I submit that conformance does matter. (You
wouldn't want someone to provide a file to a GeoJSON reader that doesn't
pass GeoJSONLint, for example.) A wild-west approach could lead to problems
in production systems.

I would consider Even's suggestion (which was also brought up independently
during Monday's meeting) of a simple table dedicated to that purpose and
abandoning the use of application IDs inside the SQLite headers.
-Jeff

--
Jeff Yutzler
Image Matters LLC <http://www.imagemattersllc.com/>