[Geopackage] Query on gpkg_tile_matrix - matrix_width and matrix_height

Cochran, Jenifer jenifer.cochran at rgi-corp.com
Fri May 29 15:01:09 EDT 2015

Hi Even,

Based on your comments,  we disagree on a fundamental aspect to the GeoPackage specification.  It seems like your comments are geared towards a TMS structure and the GoogleMaps Web Mercator based design.   The fundamental difference is that the bounding box should describe only the data contained in the pyramid user data table rather than the bounds of the world.  The bounding box should only be the entire world if the data in the pyramid user data table contains data for the entire world.

GeoPackages must always report the minimum bounds of the data in the pyramid user data table.  As stated  "The gpkg_tile_matrix_set table or updateable view defines the minimum bounding box (min_x, min_y, max_x, max_y) and spatial reference system (srs_id) for all content in a tile pyramid user data table" (below Table 8 Tile Matrix Set Table or View Definition).

The GeoPackage Spec does allow sparse tile matrices as you mentioned but if you continue reading within the same place you quoted it also states, "This means that a tile matrix set can be sparse, i.e. not contain a tile for any particular position at a certain tile zoom level. [19] This does not affect the informative spatial extent stated by the min/max x/y columns values in the gpkg_contents record for the same table_name, the exact spatial extent stated by the min/max x/y columns values in the gpkg_tile_matrix_set record for the same table name, or the tile matrix width and height at that level. [20]" (below Requirement 52).  This is stating that you may have a sparse data but it must still define the minimum bounds of the data inside the pyramid user data table.  Therefore there should still be data at the minimal and maximal extents (meaning having a tile_row =0, tile column = 0, tile_row = matrix_height -1, tile_column = matrix_width -1). They do not need to be the same tile (it could be one or four different tiles) but they still have to exist (it could be at any zoom level).

I do want to mention that for the equation, the bounding box represented in the gpkg_tile_matrix_set can be different from the bounding box in the gpkg_contents table.  The gpkg_contents table can be simply informational whereas the gpkg_tile_matrix_set must be the exact minimum bounds.  For my equations I am using the bounding box defined in the gpkg_tile_matrix_set and not the gpkg_contents table.

Hope this helps clarify, otherwise happy to discuss this further.

V/R,

Jenifer Cochran
Software Engineer
Reinventing Geospatial, Inc