[Geopackage] Query on gpkg_tile_matrix - matrix_width and matrix_height

Brachman, Micah micah.brachman at rgi-corp.com
Fri May 29 14:00:24 EDT 2015

Brad,

I've been chatting with some of the software engineers here at RGi about your question -- hopefully the information below will help you out.

First, the WhiteHorse GeoPackage on the OGC website is out of date and the matrix_width and matrix_height are incorrect.  Here is a link to the updated WhiteHorse GeoPackage with the correct matrix_width and matrix_height:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByvLbbvwoxUjREhlbGZyWVpNeG8&authuser=0

There must be an agreement between the tiles present, and the bounding box which will ultimately determine the matrix_height and matrix_width.   There ought to be one tile in each of the minimal and maximal rows and columns(There must be a tile at row: 0, column: 0, row: (matrix_height - 1), and column: (matrix_width -1)).  This must hold true at any of the zoom levels.  If this doesn't hold true then the bounding box doesn't represent the minimum bounds of the data.

The data must also comply with the following equations:

pixel_x_size = Bounding Box width  * matrix_width  * tile_width
pixel_y_size = Bounding Box height * matrix_height * tile_height

Hopefully this clears the confusion on what the matrix_width and matrix_height represent.  Thanks

Micah

Micah Brachman, PhD | Geospatial Scientist
Reinventing Geospatial | www.rgi-corp.com
4035 Ridge Top Rd Suite 520, Fairfax, VA 22030

703.272.3204 x2066
micah.brachman at rgi-corp.com