[Geopackage] Query on gpkg_tile_matrix - matrix_width and matrix_height

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Jun 1 18:03:54 EDT 2015

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 12:21:03 PM Cochran, Jenifer wrote:
> [...]
We disagree.
"The gpkg_tile_matrix table or view MAY contain row records for zoom levels in
a tile pyramid user data table that do not contain tiles."
When taken with the statement that
"Tiles MAY or MAY NOT be provided for level 0 or any other particular zoom
level"
and
matrix_width: Number of columns (>= 1) in tile matrix at this zoom level
matrix_height: Number of rows (>= 1) in tile matrix at this zoom level
and
"The gpkg_tile_matrix_set table or updateable view defines the minimum bounding
box (min_x, min_y, max_x, max_y) and spatial reference system (srs_id) for all
content in a tile pyramid user data table."
then
I think there is at least a potential conflict in the spec. There is certainly
difference in intepretation.

I think that the bounding box should specify the size of the tile matrix, not
the size of the actual content in that matrix (not sure I'm making this
clear), but Pepijn's comment about "potential" content might help.

It still would be worth trying to describe what the intended use of
matrix_width and matrix_height is, from a reader's perspective. Given footnote
18, it doesn't seem to be that it tells you which tiles are present in the
tiles table.

Brad