[Geopackage] "OpenGeoPDF" linkage to geopackage?

Lee Leonard leeoncandler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 11:08:17 EST 2014

Here's some background and technical details on TerraGo OpenGeoPDF and
GeoPackage.

Traditionally TerraGo Publisher has written GIS feature data to GeoPDFs as
Adobe PDF object data. Unfortunately this is not the most efficient storage
method requiring a lot of disk space, a big memory footprint, and a very
slow load time when working with a large number of records (which GIS tends
to have). In addition, PDF object data was not useful for data exchange
with other GIS workflows.

With OpenGeoPDF the vector based GIS features are instead saved to a
GeoPackage (using OGR) and then embedded in the PDF as a standard file
attachment. For data exchange, the GeoPackage attachment can simply be
extracted using Adobe Reader or most other third-party applications and
libraries.

The attached Geopackage is also used by the new TerraGo Toolbar and
Composer products to enable an Identify tool to display the data associated
with individual cartographic features and to highlight their geometry on
the map.

 -- Lee

Lee Leonard
TerraGo Technologies