[Geopackage] gpkg_contents when type is not 'feature' or 'tiles'

Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt pepijn.vaneeckhoudt at luciad.com
Thu Nov 13 05:02:54 EST 2014

On 10 Nov 2014, at 18:17, Robert Coup <robert.coup at koordinates.com> wrote:

> I’m not saying that you should absolutely not do this. It’s just that the extension spec that Even linked to states that you should use ‘NULL’ as the table name. I was question whether that was intentional or not. I personally think it’s excessively broad to state that in an extension spec.
>
> Okay, so what alternative approaches can we take? You're suggesting adding it per-table instead?

Under 'Extension Name or Template’ the spec currently states
INSERT INTO gpkg_extensions
  (table_name, column_name, extension_name, definition, scope)
VALUES
  (
    NULL,
    NULL,
    'gdal_aspatial',
    'http://gdal.org/geopackage_aspatial.html',
    'read-write'
  );
To me that basically says this is literally what I should do which imo is too broad. You’re telling people that this should always be applied globally to the entire database.
I would replace that with something less explicit that lists the extension_name, definition and scope values. Leave it up to users of the extension to apply it on specific tables or the entire geopackage.
The applicability section can state that this extension can be applied to individual tables or globally but not to individual columns. It currently states 'applicable to any table with type aspatial’ but that’s kind of a recursive definition. That basically says ’this extension applies to tables that comply with this extension’. I would rephrase that to say that it can be applied to any table that is not ‘features’ or ’tiles’ or something along those lines.

Is the source of that document under version control somewhere? I can make a patch with suggested tweaks if you like.

Best regards,

Pepijn