[CITE-Forum] Is an empty "returnFeatureTypes" attribute valid in stored query creation?

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Thu Mar 22 12:30:33 EDT 2018

Hi Peter,
a "change request" against the standard you mean? To ask clarification on
the schema valid, but problematic,
empty returnedTypes?

Cheers
Andrea

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 11:59 PM, Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos via
CITE-Forum <cite-forum at lists.opengeospatial.org> wrote:

> Richard at al,
>
> Yup!  Looks like a bug ... I think a change request is order to have this
> fixed.
>
> Ciao.
>

> On 2018-03-20 10:53 AM, Richard Martell via CITE-Forum wrote:
>
>> Andrea,
>>
>> It does look like a bug according to the last sentence in the clause you
>> cited. Perhaps an error trying to set the attribute value from the
>> FeatureTypeList in the capabilities document or the child queries. I didn't
>> see any hints about an empty string being interpreted as "any supported
>> feature type" (although gml:AbstractFeature could play this role I suppose).
>>
>> However, the attribute seems redundant here since the constituent queries
>> already specify the return types. What if inconsistencies occur? Perhaps as
>> a fallback the server could fill in an empty value on receipt (i.e.
>> concatenate Query/@typeNames).
>>

>> --
>> Richard
>>

>> On 2018-03-19 07:33, Andrea Aime via CITE-Forum wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm looking at a failing test that issues the following request:
>>>
>>> <CreateStoredQuery xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/wfs/2.0"
>>> service="WFS" version="2.0.0">
>>>   <StoredQueryDefinition xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>>>
>>> id="urn:example:wfs2-query:GetFeatureByName">
>>>       <Title>GetFeatureByName</Title>
>>>       <Abstract>Returns feature representations by name. The name
>>> value must occur in a gml:name property.</Abstract>
>>>       <Parameter name="name" type="xsd:string">
>>>          <Abstract>Name of feature instance (required)</Abstract>
>>>       </Parameter>
>>>       <QueryExpressionText xmlns:fes="http://www.opengis.net/fes/2.0"
>>>                            xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml/3.2"
>>>                            isPrivate="false"
>>>
>>> language="urn:ogc:def:queryLanguage:OGC-WFS::WFSQueryExpression"
>>>                            RETURNFEATURETYPES="">
>>>          <Query xmlns:ns42="http://cite.opengeospatial.org/gmlsf"
>>>                 typeNames="ns42:EntitéGénérique">
>>>             <fes:Filter>
>>>                <fes:PropertyIsLike escapeChar="\" singleChar="?"
>>> wildCard="*">
>>>                   <fes:ValueReference>gml:name</fes:ValueReference>
>>>                   <fes:Literal>*${name}*</fes:Literal>
>>>                </fes:PropertyIsLike>
>>>             </fes:Filter>
>>>          </Query>
>>>       </QueryExpressionText>
>>>   </StoredQueryDefinition>
>>> </CreateStoredQuery>
>>>
>>> GeoServer complains about returnFeatureTypes, in particular:
>>>
>>> "StoredQuery references typeName sf:EntitéGénérique not listed in
>>> returnFeatureTypes"
>>>
>>> Now, the attribute is mandatory and specifications example has a non
>>> empty value (also available here:
>>> http://schemas.opengis.net/wfs/2.0/examples/StoredQuery/Crea
>>> teStoredQueryExample.xml
>>> )
>>>
>>> The spec does not address directly the empty value case:
>>>
>>> 14.2.2.5.2 Declaring the returned feature types

> [...]

Regards,

Andrea Aime

==
GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V
for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.