[CITE-Forum] Versions and namespaces in the WCS 1.1.1 tests

Mats Olsson Mats.Olsson at carmenta.com
Thu Aug 13 08:08:38 EDT 2015

Hello!

I noticed when Ii tried the current tests for WCS 1.1.1 that there seems to be a lot of confusion in the different version numbers WCS uses.

The tests are using schemas with version 1.1.3 (some of the schemas have 1.1.2 or 1.1.4 versions as well) while the actual tests consistently seems to be  checking for version 1.1.1. Additionally, the RequestBaseType in wcsCommon.xsd has a fixed version value of 1.1.2.

The original 1.1.1 schemas use the namespace "http://www.opengis.net/wcs/1.1.1" while the new schemas use "http://www.opengis.net/wcs/1.1" so I think the standard is now internally inconsistent, as older implementations and newer ones may not be able to communicate. Changing the namespace will break XPath and other namespace reliant code, in addition to problems caused by actual changes in the schemas.

I am wondering about the reasoning behind these changes in the tests.

Are the current tests really meant for a 1.1 (or 1.1.x) version which is not compatible with the original 1.1.1 and shouldn't the test then be renamed WCS 1.1 Conformance Test Suite or similar? Shouldn't the tests then use 1.1 only as version and not 1.1.1 when checking if it is the correct version?

Is the idea that servers and clients should somehow seamlessly handle that schemas for an already published standard may simply change at any time, including new namespaces? Should the tests then also be able handle different corrigendum's for the same version?

Are  these problems simply bugs in the tests?

Maybe I am missing something but I cannot see how this is supposed to work.

Best regards,
Mats Olsson