[CITE-Forum] GML 3.2.1 application schema test: surprise failure

Peter Parslow Peter.Parslow at ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 08:01:00 EDT 2014

Hi,
I'm developing a GML application schema which extends from the some of the INSPIRE GML application schemas (see http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/index.cfm/pageid/2/list/datamodels for lots of background). I got an error which I'm a bit unsure about, in one of INSPIRE's schemas. I'd like to hear a bit more about it through this forum before reporting it to the INSPIRE team.

This test: http://cite.opengeospatial.org/teamengine/rest/suites/gml/3.2.1-r15/run?xsd=http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/schemas/base/3.2/BaseTypes.xsd

Gives a result including this FAIL fragment:

<test-method started-at="2014-07-01T07:52:39Z" name="validateMetadataProperties" finished-at="2014-07-01T07:52:39Z" duration-ms="0" signature="validateMetadataProperties()[pri:0, instance:org.opengis.cite.iso19136.general.ComplexPropertyTests at 5726eb34]" status="FAIL" groups="general">
        <exception class="java.lang.AssertionError">
                <message> Metadata property value must be declared in an application namespace: "http://www.isotc211.org/2005/gmd":MD_Metadata in type Complex type name='urn:x-inspire:specification:gmlas:BaseTypes:3.2,#AnonType_metadataSpatialDataSetType', base type name='AbstractMetadataPropertyType', content type='ELEMENT', isAbstract='false', hasTypeId='false', final='0', block='0', particle='("http://www.isotc211.org/2005/gmd":MD_Metadata){0-1}', derivedBy='EXTENSION'. . expected [true] but found [false] </message>
        </exception>
        <!-- java.lang.AssertionError -->
        <reporter-output> </reporter-output>
</test-method>

As I read it, it is complaining about this schema fragment:

<complexType name="SpatialDataSetType">
        <complexContent>
                <extension base="gml:AbstractFeatureType">
                        <sequence>
                                <element type="base:IdentifierPropertyType" name="identifier"/>
                                <element name="metadata" nillable="true">
                                        <complexType>
                                                <complexContent>
                                                        <extension base="gml:AbstractMetadataPropertyType">
                                                                <sequence minOccurs="0">
                                                                        <element ref="gmd:MD_Metadata"/>
                                                                </sequence>
                                                                <attributeGroup ref="gml:AssociationAttributeGroup"/>

The problem appears to be that the test doesn't allow for a metadata property to use an anonymous type. I don't see this constraint explicitly in the GML specification.

So, is the schema wrong, or is the test 'too tight'?

Peter

Peter Parslow
Principal Geographic Information Architect
Content & Data Products, Ordnance Survey
Adanac Drive, SOUTHAMPTON, United Kingdom, SO16 0AS
Linked data / map: http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/id/postcodeunit/SO160AS
Phone: +44 23 8005 5341
Mobile: +44 7796 610020
www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk | Peter.Parslow at ordnancesurvey.co.uk

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email.

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Adanac Drive
Southampton SO16 0AS