[CITE-Forum] CSW GetRecords on latest Beta

Neil Tippett neil.tippett at envitia.com
Wed Jun 19 04:21:57 EDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I've encountered an issue with CITE test GetRecords-tc19.1 from the CSW
tests on the latest CITE beta engine and it comes down to an ambiguity
in the OGC Filter spec. Basically the test is expecting the
ogc:PropertyIsLike filter to be applied in a case insensitive manner,
which is open to interpretation.

According to the schema of the OGC Filter 1.1 standard that was around
when the CSW spec was issued, the ogc:PropertyIsLike element is not
permitted to have a matchCase attribute, unlike most of the other
property comparison operators. This schema was subsequently updated
(v1.1.3) to add this attribute and default it to true - implying perhaps
that the original intention was to perform the search using case
sensitive matching. The original spec did not state the intention for
this element however.

Whilst I fully accept that this ambiguity can and has led to differing
interpretations, by enforcing one of those in the CITE test it prevents
implementations from supporting the update OGC filter schema which, when
the attribute is not provided, expect case sensitive matching to be
used.

Many thanks

Neil

Envitia

See the world as it really is

Neil Tippett

( Tel:      +44 1403 273 173

7 Fax:     +44 1403 273 123

* Email:  neil.tippett at envitia.com <mailto:neil.tippett at envitia.com>

: Web:   www.envitia.com <http://www.envitia.com>

ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System Accreditation

__________________________
This email is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. The content
and any attachments may be privileged and/or

contain confidential information and copyright material. If you are not
the addressee you may not use, copy or disclose

the information in it. If you receive this email by mistake, please
advise the sender by using the reply facility in your email

software or the contact information above, before deleting it and
destroying any hard copies.

We accept no responsibility or liability for content in this email that
is personal or otherwise unconnected with our business.

Although this email and attachments have been swept for viruses, we do
not accept liability for any loss arising from its use.

Envitia Ltd
Registered No: 2348404 England

North Heath Lane, Horsham, West Sussex RH12 5UX