[CITE-Forum] WCS Test Engine Failure?

Peter Baumann baumann at rasdaman.com
Wed Jan 9 16:20:45 EST 2013

Hi Larry,

having an official statement should not be a problem, if necessary we can
involve, eg, George Percivall or Carl Reed for nodding.
There are manifold reasons why one would not want to use WCS 1.x :
- no real interoperability (look at 1.x server implementations, they all come
with their own client)
- insufficient testing - any WCS delivering correct metadata, but a black image,
will be considered compliant by the CITE test
- no OGC maintenance (spec, tests, ...)
- monolithic = not extensible, harder to comprehend
- many places where the spec is ambiguous
- some outdated parts which are incompatible with other OGC standards today (OWS
Common, CRSs, time handling, ...)
- no harmonization with GML, SWE, etc.
All this, and more, has been remedied in WCS 2.

A piece of history: As we perceived that WCS 1.0.0 was underspecified we came up
with 1.1.2 that was roughly coherent, but tried to be exact. The result was a
spec which was not apprehended very much - although part of this under-uptake
was due to the CRS explanations making up about 50% of the text - there are
maybe 5 people on this planet who really understand this all, and I do not
belong to them. So we went back to the drawing board to come up with a WCS 2.0.0
that is modular, easy to comprehend and implement, better tested, and
harmonized. Today we have probably a dozen OS implementations of WCS (including
MapServer and soon GeoServer), and uptake is growing rapidly.

So migration to 1.1.2 is significant effort, too, as backwards compatibility was
not as much an issue earlier as it is today, and it does not remedy all problems.

Given that WCS 1.0 is 10 years old I definitely recommend to use the up-to date
version of the standard.

HTH,
Peter

--
Prof. Dr. Peter Baumann
    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
"A brilliant idea is a job halfdone."