[CITE-Forum] Changes in WMS 1.1 dtd

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Sat Dec 7 11:26:45 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Sebastian Goerke <goerke at lat-lon.de> wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> my understanding is, that the tests represent the current state of a
> standard. So, the idea would be to only support the newest version of
> the dtd as there is no other document for WMS 1.1.1 than the
> specification itself (no official corrigendum). Having support for
> both dtd files means, supporting different states of the change
> request process somehow. To my mind it is not feasable for CITE to
> have support for different behaviour from different CR stages. The
> current version of a test suite is supposed to check against the
> current state of a specification.

Yes, I understand that, and see that that changes in the dtd expected
by the test from
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/WMS_MS_Capabilities.dtd
to http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/capabilities_1_1_1.dtd
seems to be in line with the latest release of the standard.

My question was about the software being testsed. If I'm not mistaken, to
pass the current
official tests a WMS 1.1.1 has to refer to
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/WMS_MS_Capabilities.dtd,
but when the current trunk tests will become the new official ones,
then the servers will have to return
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/capabilities_1_1_1.dtd to
pass the tests (the difference in the two dtd is minor, some updates in the
dimension handling).

That's why I was asking if a software is supposed to have the dtd reference
be configurable, or you
expect all OGC WMS servers to change their dtd reference overnight as the
new cite tests
get released.... and also wondering what will be the effects on clients
when the change
is done (are there clients around that will be affected by the change and
will stop interoperate?)

Cheers
Andrea

--