[CITE-Forum] EXTERNAL:Re: [CITE.SC] beta TEAM Engine updated 2010-09-21

Lorenzo Bigagli bigagli at imaa.cnr.it
Thu Sep 30 10:17:35 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I step in because the issue is reminiscent of one that we are considering in the Catalog 3.0 SWG (http://portal.opengeospatial.org/?m=projects&a=view&project_id=270&tab=5&act=details&issue_id=505).
So I am copying the Catalog 3.0 SWG too.
Maybe this is of even wider interest (but I can't find an 'OWS Commons' list...)

Anyway, my impression is that a CR to OWS Commons may be needed.
I've looked into it (version 2.0, but 1.1 was identical) and my understanding is that the text/xml MIME is the default format for getCapabilities responses (does it apply to requests, too? Or to other responses?)
Hence, I wouldn't agree that it is _mandatory_ to use text/xml, for requests/responses.

I would agree that sticking to application/xml is safer: we may write a CR to change the default MIME in OWS Commons.
An alternative is to mandate using the 'charset' parameter (strongly recommended by RFC 3023).
For the time being, a test case may issue a warning when this is omitted.

In general, I argue that mechanisms like acceptFormats are error-prone, when the underlying binding already provides similar features (e.g. HTTP).
The current CS 3.0 draft even states that such parameters take precedence over HTTP headers (see the above issue): in other words, CSW 3.0 would override RFC 3023... :-/

It makes sense to me to describe such mechanisms at the core level of an OGC specification, but then the various extensions should just bind them to the appropriate binding features, when available, without adding unnecessary, additional parameters (with possible inconsistent semantics).

What do you think?
  LB

Il giorno 29/set/2010, alle ore 18.43, Morris, Chuck E (IS) ha scritto:

>> Using application/xml is always safer.
>
> That may be, but OWS Common mandates using text/xml.

---
Lorenzo Bigagli, Ph.D.
Institute of Methodologies for Environmental Analysis
 of the National Research Council (IMAA-CNR)

a: Area della Ricerca di Potenza, Contrada Santa Loja
   Zona Industriale, I-85050 Tito Scalo (PZ), Italy
t: +39 0971 427221
f: +39 0971 427222
m: bigagli at imaa.cnr.it