[CITE-Forum] idgen 'UseExisting'

Justin Deoliveira jdeolive at opengeo.org
Tue Feb 9 19:03:11 EST 2010

Hi all,

Running the wfs 1.1 cite tests (r2) against GeoServer I ran into an
issue with this test:

wfs:Transaction-idgen-use-existing

Assertion: In response to an Insert Transaction request with
idgen=UseExisting where the identifiers are new values that do not
belong to any existing features in the WFS, the service uses the
existing gml:id identifiers for the newly inserted feature instances.

I remember this issue coming up during the original wfs 1.1 test bed. I
will try briefly to sum up my past issue with it.

By design GeoServer does not allow a user to modify the value of any
feature id. Partly because allowing users to muck with unique
identifiers for features was considered too easy way to shoot one's self
in the foot. But also because in many cases it can simply not be done.
More often than not a feature type is backed by a database table in
which feature id's are generated from an auto generating primary key.

I am curious to hear about how other wfs implementers view this test case?

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org