[CITE-Forum] Contradiction between wfs:wfs-1.1.0-Basic-DescribeFeatureType-tc3.3 and wfs:wfs-1.1.0-Basic-DescribeFeatureType-tc4.4 tests

Andreas Schmitz schmitz at lat-lon.de
Thu Dec 30 07:54:05 EST 2010

Baris Kazar wrote:

Hi,

>  It seems that there is some contradiction between these two tests:
> <test name="wfs:wfs-1.1.0-Basic-DescribeFeatureType-tc3.3">
> <param name="wfs.DescribeFeatureType.post.url"/>
> <assertion>The following attributes are required for all XML request entities: @version (default '1.1.0'); @service (default 'WFS').</assertion>
> <comment>DescribeFeatureType with no version and service 'WFS', expecting version '1.1.0'. Pass if all of the following conditions are true: (1) the response is schema valid; (2) the root document is an xsd:schema document.</comment>
> <link>wfs-1.1.0-Basic-atc9</link>
> <link>OGC 04-094, 7.8, p.24</link>

this test sends an XML request. According to the schema, the @service
and @version attributes are optional. I suppose the meaning is that the
parameter is mandatory, but has default values. So even if you don't
supply a value in the request, the parameter still has a value.

> <test name="wfs:wfs-1.1.0-Basic-DescribeFeatureType-tc4.4">
> <param name="wfs.DescribeFeatureType.get.url"/>
> <assertion>The following query parameters are required for all KVP-encoded service requests except GetCapabilities: service, request, version.</assertion>
> <comment>DescribeFeatureType with required parameters service 'WFS', and request 'DescribeFeatureType', but no version. Pass if all of the following conditions are true: (1) the response is schema valid; (2) the root document is an ows:ExceptionReport document.</comment>
> <link>ows-1.0.0-common-atc4</link>
> <link>OGC 05-008c1, 9.2.1, p.36 (Table 20)</link>

This test sends a KVP request, missing the VERSION parameter. For KVP
requests, the VERSION parameter is mandatory for all requests (except
GetCapabilities).

> OGC04-094 doc page 24 says the following:
> " All XML encoded WFS requests include an attribute called version. The mandatory version attribute is used to indicate to which version of the WFS specification the request encoding conforms and is used in version negotiation as described in subclause 6.2.4."
>
> So, wfs-1.1.0-Basic-DescribeFeatureType-tc4.4 seems to do the right
> thing but what about wfs-1.1.0-Basic-DescribeFeatureType-tc3.3?

I think the wording in the spec is inconsistent/contradicts the schemas
once again. Maybe a change request is required to clear this up?

Best regards, Andreas