[CITE-Forum] WMS compliance

Shanmugam Ganeshkumar shanmugamg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 19:38:22 EDT 2009

Hi Raj
Good to hear from you.

Well, this is totally biased approach toward the vector world. Speaking
about interoperability, I would request OGC to have a means to distinguish
between Vector and Raster WMS service, while doing the CITE Tests.

I see more and more WMS engines coming out to support raster by
requirement.

At the upcoming OSGeo benchmarking 2009, one of the requirement is to test
GeoTIFF as WMS service. I wonder how OGC will certify if their is a server
that gives the ultimate performance in WMS but falling thru cracks just
because OGC wont certify that as valid WMS server, while all the specs
(image) of 1.1.1 and 1.3.0 are implemented.

Hope you can throw some light on this.

Thanks
Ganesh

2009/9/4 Raj Singh <rsingh at opengeospatial.org>

> Hello. The CITE WMS test data is only in vector format. We realize that
> this requires that your WMS support vector data. If your WMS only supports
> rasters, then OGC has no way to offer you certification.
>
> -----
> Raj Singh
> Compliance Test Coordinator
> Open Geospatial Consortium
> rsingh at opengeospatial.org
> +1 (617) 642-9372
>
> ** making location count **
>

> On Sep 3, at 10:17 PM, Shanmugam Ganeshkumar wrote:
>
>  Hi List,
>>

>> Can someone point to me how to complete the WMS compliance for Image
>> Service?
>>
>> At the test bed, the test data is only vector and I dont see any raster
>> images.
>>
>> http://cite.opengeospatial.org/tsOGC/ViewTestSpec?SPEC=Web_Map_Server.html&TYPE=AVAILABLE&sesstype=OGC#B.-Test%20Data%20Definition
>>
>> http://cite.opengeospatial.org/test_engine/wms
>> I have gone thru above links but there is no mention about Raster images.
>>
>> How does one do compliance for a WMS Image Server?
>>
>> I'm interested in both WMS 1.1.1 and WMS 1.3.0
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ganesh

Shanmugam Ganeshkumar
GSM: +65-81808003