[CITE-Forum] WFS 1.1.0 CITE tests: multiple geometrytypes ona single layer

Ian Painter Ian.Painter at snowflakesoftware.com
Fri Apr 25 13:05:29 EDT 2008

All,

Having just got our WFS through the 1.1.0 compliance I can totally
relate to the amount of effort / pain involved in getting 1.1.0
compliance. The WFS 1.1.0 tests are very comprehensive and adhere very
tightly to the spec (which is good thing). Given this, the development
required to get 1.1.0 compliance is considerable and shouldn't be
underestimated. It took us nearly 4 man months of development to get our
WFS through despite our WFS already being 1.0 compliant.

Back to my concern ... in Europe there are numerous widely adopted
schemas that have more than one geometry per feature and adhere to
simple features. If we were to say that a WFS is 1.1.0 compliant then
people will naturally assume that it fully supports simple features and
therefore supports multiple geometry within a single feature. My
interpretation of the spec is that support for documents with only 1
geometry per feature isn't support for simple features. I'm afraid I
agree with Richard that either the Level 0 constraints need to further
restricted or WFS providers need to take the development hit (as we did)
in order to pass the tests.

I appreciate that this is quite a hard-line response but we must never
get into situation of 'my WFS doesn't support X therefore can you take X
out of the compliance test'.

Ian