[CITE-Forum] Catalog 2 Spec - Where have all the Services and Layers Gone?

Eric Everman eeverman at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 22 12:26:07 EST 2005

Hi-

I'm looking at the GetRecordsReponse portion Catalog Spec Version 2
(OGC 04-021r2) and there are no XML elements related to Service and
Layer.  All this information seems to be delegated to this abstract
schema element:

<xsd:element ref="csw:AbstractRecord" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

I can't seem to find anything in the definition of the
AbstractRecordType that would ensure that Service and Layer elements
are returned or even a schema defining them.  Am I missing something?
Under the old spec (OGC 01-068r3), Service and Layer were well defined
so that I could automate piecing together a URL to request one of the
layers.  How do I do that for an arbitrary catalog service under the
2.0 spec?

Thanks in advance,
--ee