[AIP_Plenary] IIB feedback

George Percivall gpercivall at opengeospatial.org
Thu Jan 26 10:34:34 EST 2012

This item has now been added to next Tuesday AIP Telecon as part of the AIP-5 CFP Summary document prep.
http://www.ogcnetwork.net/AIPtelecons

For background, The Recommendation from the AIP-4 Summary Report was:
> Provide a clear distinction between development and operational
> contributions to AIP (and GEOSS in general) to possibly encourage wider
> involvement from the community based on realistic expectations of their
> contributions in the process.
(My notes for the telecon earlier this week mistakenly listed this as from AIP-3)

George

On Jan 26, 2012, at 10:06 AM, Herve Caumont wrote:

> [...]
>
> thank you Steve for that point of view.
> This is a great reformulation.
>
> At this point, I see somehow a distinction between 'developmental resource' (my wording, as the status of a contributed resource, which I was questioning) and 'developmental effort' which, provided some acknowledged development plan, can offer or augment a given operational capacity...
>
> As I understand the comments provided so far, we could well be close to a shared understanding on how AIP (and the CFP text) can integrate and align with GEO Work Plan targets and agenda. That's the IIB remark to us, right ?
>
> Also, I am not seeing the GEO Work Plan 2012-2015 as being 'excluding', so we can further elaborate on this aspect if I am missing something here.
>
> Herve
>

> On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:20 PM, Steven F. Browdy wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I think these ideas are worthy of further discussion at the next AIP telecon.  Please keep in mind that operational issues are now handled by IN-03, including upgrades to the GCI components.  The IIB has set priorities for 2012, and still views the AIP process as dealing with developmental issues.  Inviting proven resources to become part of GEOSS, via AIP stress testing, and then handing them off to IN-03 to be operationalized, is great, but I don't believe it should be done at the exclusion of important development efforts for AIP.  Moving towards 2015 and beyond, there will be many developmental efforts that will confront us.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> Steven F. Browdy, Ph.D.
>> President
>> OMS Tech, Inc.
>> steveb at omstech.com
>> 407-905-5610 (Voice)
>> 877-271-9149 (Fax)
>>

>> On 1/25/2012 10:27 AM, Lionel Menard wrote:
>>> Hi Herve, George and All,
>>> to follow Herve's idea, I would like to expand this approach towards "a proven resources and stressed interoperability testing" by linking those potential AIP-5 contributions to the GCI components. The fact is that there are some improvement that are planned in the GCI that currently impact resources to be properly advertise and/or consume by GEOSS users. So my idea would be to make sure that the resources that will be provided in AIP-5 will on the one hand, match the requested criteria as explain above and on the other hand, make sure that such effort should be rewarded by having the proper components within the GCI ready and operational to properly advertise and consume such resource. The past AIP's have illustrate this discrepancies and having in mind this harmonization procedure would be a  benefit for GEOSS as a whole.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Lionel

>>> ---------
>>> Lionel MENARD, MINES ParisTech BP 207 06904 Sophia Antipolis France.  Tel +33 493957423

George Percivall
gpercivall at opengeospatial.org
@Percivall on Twitter