[AIP_Plenary] Draft poster for Plenary Exhibit

Douglas Nebert ddnebert at usgs.gov
Wed Oct 19 12:28:28 EDT 2011

On 10/19/11 10:39 AM, Ivan Petiteville wrote:
> Doug,
>
> thank you for this preliminary version of the poster. Please find
> hereafter my comments:
>
> 1. I do not understand what is the "EO vocabulary" box. Whatever is
> this element, it is not in the official operational GCI and by its
> name, it seems to be a "function" while the other bubbles represent
> also "physical elements"

The vocabulary is the structured "Critical EO parameter" ontology and is
used in the GEO Web Portal and Broker to assist in search. It is a
resource demonstrated in STP and is a candidate for inclusion in the GCI
architecture.
> 2. The "EuroGEOSS broker" is not in the official operational GCI  and
> should appear instead at the bottom in both "Inventories" & "Services"

Likewise this component is also a candidate for inclusion in the GCI.

I propose to symbolize these two items differently for the poster to
make clear that they are functioning with the GCI components in an
operational setting, but are not yet officially GCI.
> 3. "GENESI" should appear at the bottom in both "Inventories" &
> "Services".
We don't have space for itemizing services, so would prefer to mention
it under Inventories.

> 4. We have to be careful with the mixture of operational systems and
> prototypes: GENESI is not funded after Summer 2012, EuroGEOSS broker
> project stops just before the Summer 2012, and for CWIC we (CEOS) are
> currently looking for funds to continue the development of that
> successful prototype. I would propose that each one of those 3 systems
> are followed by an asterix (*) that indicate their prototype nature.

Agreed. The intent of this poster is to paint a picture of what is old,
new, and different, and provide examples of the components one will now
use in search of GEOSS.
> 5. Given the great added-value of the IDN in increasing significantly
> the list of GEOSS resources, we should add IDN to the list at the
> bottom of the picture.

Agreed.

See attached for the updates.
> Ivan
>
> Ivan
>

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Douglas Nebert <ddnebert at usgs.gov
> <mailto:ddnebert at usgs.gov>> wrote:
>
>     STP and AIP:
>
>     Attached is a draft poster/banner to be hung on the back of the
>     booth that I have mocked up in Powerpoint. Please provide any
>     suggestions or changes to me by November 1 so that I can get the
>     banner made.
>
>     The dimensions are 3 x 4 feet (90cm height by 120cm width).
>
>     Doug.
>
>     --
>     Douglas D. Nebert
>     Senior Advisor for Geospatial Technology, System-of-Systems Architect
>     FGDC Secretariat   Tel/Fax:+1 503 454-6248
>     <tel:%2B1%20503%20454-6248>   Cell:+1 703 459-5860
>     <tel:%2B1%20703%20459-5860>

>     write to: mailto:STP-SIGNOFF-REQUEST at LIST.GEOSEC.ORG
>     <mailto:STP-SIGNOFF-REQUEST at LIST.GEOSEC.ORG>
>     or click the following link:
>     http://list.geosec.org/SCRIPTS/WA-GEOSEC.EXE?SUBED1=STP&A=1
>     <http://list.geosec.org/SCRIPTS/WA-GEOSEC.EXE?SUBED1=STP&A=1>

> Ivan PETITEVILLE,
>
> European Space Agency (ESA)
> Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes
> Programme Planning and Coordination Service
> Coordination Office
> address:    ESA ESRIN,
>                  Via G.Galilei,
>                  CP 64
>                  00044  FRASCATI,     Italy
>
> tel: +390694180567   fax :  + 390694180353  cell. phone:   +393351017731
>
> E-mail: Ivan.Petiteville at esa.int <mailto:Ivan.Petiteville at esa.int>
>
> Internet: http://www.esa.int

Douglas D. Nebert
Senior Advisor for Geospatial Technology, System-of-Systems Architect
FGDC Secretariat   Tel/Fax:+1 503 454-6248   Cell:+1 703 459-5860