[AIP_Plenary] GEOSS CFP 2008: Clarification about the interface between GEO Portal and GEO Members

George Percivall gpercivall at opengeospatial.org
Fri Jun 6 09:33:04 EDT 2008

Semerano,

Thank you for reviewing the CFP rough draft and asking this question.
Allow me to respond to two parts of your message:

>  in the CFP 2008 rough draft there is the Figure 12 – Distributed
> Search Sequence (pag. 38) where I can see the interface between GEO
> Portal and GEOSS Registry and where there are also two additional
> interfaces between GEO Portal and GEO Members called ServiceRequest
> and ServiceResponse.

This ServiceRequest and ServiceResponse shown as the last step in the
figure are generic to any service discovered via the search for which
the Portal is a client.  For example, all three GEO Portal candidates
are WMS clients and so could execute a ServiceRequest of GetMap and
process the response.   It is not anticipated that the GEO Portal will
be a client to every service type in the GEOSS registry.   The AIP
Architecture anticipates that "Application Client" components will
serve as helper clients to services not supported by the Portal.

> Which data can the GEO Portal request to the GEO Members (that it is
> not able to find through the GEOSS Clearinghouse) and which kind of
> services are we thinking to provide to the user through the
> interface between GEO portal and GEO Members?

GEOSS Components interact using GEOSS Interoperability Arrangements.
As a GEO Task we are charged to define what Interoperability
Arrangements that the GEO Portal is to support.  The Portal section of
the "GEOSS Core Architecture Implementation Report" from November 2007
has the set of requirements for the IOC level of Portal.  Phase 2 of
the AIP will consider augmentations to the IOC requirements for the
GEO Portal.

This discussion will be captured in the GEO Portal section of the
Intial draft version of CFP for Phase 2 which I aim to post today.

Regards,
George

On Jun 5, 2008, at 5:59 AM, Semerano Mauro wrote:

> [...]
> also two additional interfaces between GEO Portal and GEO Members
> called ServiceRequest and ServiceResponse. The comment in the
> picture is generic saying that: “ … the Portal will rely on
> Clearinghouse for capabilities, feature, data, maps and other but it
> can discover services associated with standards through the GEOSS
> Component …”
>
> During the latest teleconference 2 slides about the Energy Scenario
> have been presented (they are not yet on the CFP but it will be
> soon, if I well understood).
> In one of these slides (I attached it to the email for convenience)
> there are some interfaces between GEO Portal and an Energy GEOSS
> Component. The GEO portal sends a request to the GEOSS component web
> service and receives a message status that it shows to the user.
> Then the GEOSS Component web service sends an email to the user in
> order to download products. Moreover from the picture it seems that
> the GEOSS Component is able also to inquiry the GEOSS Clearinghouse.
>
> The question is:
>
> Which data can the GEO Portal request to the GEO Members (that it is
> not able to find through the GEOSS Clearinghouse) and which kind of
> services are we thinking to provide to the user through the
> interface between GEO portal and GEO Members?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Mauro Semerano
>
> Space Unit Programme Manager
> Defense, Space and Environment Division
> Elsag Datamat spa - A Finmeccanica Company
> Via Laurentina, 760
> I-00143 Rome - Italy
> web           www.elsagdatamat.com
> mail            mauro.semerano at elsagdatamat.com
> phone        +39 06 5027 2168        (Direct ext.)
> phone        +39 06 5027 4570        (Secretary)
> fax             +39 06 5027 4500        (Fax)
>

> "Questo messaggio ed ogni suo allegato sono confidenziali e possono
> essere riservati o, comunque, protetti dall'essere diffusi. Se il
> ricevente non é il destinatario diretto del presente messaggio, é
> pregato di contattare l'originario mittente e di cancellare questo
> messaggio ed ogni suo allegato dal sistema di posta. Se il ricevente
> non é il destinatario diretto del presente messaggio, sono vietati
> l'uso, la riproduzione e la stampa di questo messaggio e di ogni suo
> allegato, nonché la diffusione del loro contenuto a qualsiasi altro
> soggetto"
> *****
> "This message and any attachment are confidential and may be
> privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not
> the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete this
> message and any attachment from your system. If you are not the
> intended recipient you must not use, copy or print this message or
> attachment or disclose the contents to any other person."
>
> <Electricity Production Scenario Context Diagram.JPG>

George Percivall
Open Geospatial Consortium
http://www.opengeospatial.org/
E-mail: percivall at opengeospatial.org
Voice: +1-301-560-6439

addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy
all copies.